Tuesday 17 December 2019

2019 Sew Down


Rounding up my makes for the year is one of my favourite things to do. It's really nice to have an excuse to be able to go back through the things I've made that year and see how my sewing has improved, especially being able to compare this round up with 2018 and 2017.


Proudest make: No surprise here! My proudest make of the year is, of course, my prom dress. I spent hours designing and sewing this dress to make it perfect and it all paid off, I absolutely love it and loved wearing it to prom.


Most worn make: This top feels like such a boring choice but I have worn it so much this year. It's always hard doing this round up in the winter as I can't imagine wearing it now but my white twist top was one of my most worn tops throughout the summer.


Least worn make: The fabric completely put me off ever wearing this jumper and I have since given it to a charity shop. The colour never grew on me and it's also too synthetic for my liking. One of the dangers of ordering fabric online!


Most unexpected make: This has to be my pink fluffy jacket! I find it amazing that as fashion changes things begin to feel much less out there than before. I am still building up the courage to wear this more often but I do love it so much!


Last year's favourite: There were a few things that I could have chosen for this as I try to keep wearing old makes but my grey Anima Pants have been worn continuously this year. They're so comfy to put on at the end of the day and I just love the pattern.


Favourite make for others: The majority of clothes that I make for others are for my mum but from time to time I make something for a friend my own age and these are often some of my favourite presents to give. I made this top for my friend's birthday back in February and she wore it throughout summer. I've also loved making things for my mum this year, particularly this skirt and this top.


Most used pattern: I sew with fewer and fewer patterns now as I try and draft or hack them to get exactly what I want. Sometimes I'm fortunate to find the perfect pattern without needing to design my own and the Papercut Patterns Anima pants are exactly that. These checked ones are my absolute favourites but I've also made two other pairs this year, a blue pair and some pyjamas.


Favourite fabric shop: This year I had an incredible trip to Japan and to Tokyo's fabric shops! Tomato was the best fabric shop I've ever visited and it will probably remain that way for a long time.


Favourite fabric: The checked fabric that I used for my Anima pants was a design that I spent so long looking for and I love it. It has a slight bit of stretch to it and the wrong side is so soft making it even more perfect! It is, of course, from Tomato.


Most exciting event: This was way back in March so feels like a lifetime ago, but the Knitting & Stitching Dressmaking Competion which I entered and won was a real highlight for me. It even included a catwalk at Olympia!

7 comments:

  1. A great year of sewing! Those checked pants are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been a wonderful 2019 for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look stunning in the prom dress.
    What a talented seamstress you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have sewn well in 2019. Here's to more makes for you (and you mum!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you have had a productive year. I love that you made such a variety of clothes and not just the same thing in different fabric. Enjoy the holiday season and I look forward to seeing what wonderful things you make in 2020! xx Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing year you've had! My personal favourites shown on your blog this year is the prom dress and the pink fluffy jacket. Have a wonderful Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic! Cheers to sewing in 2020! X

    ReplyDelete