Monday 15 July 2019

White Twist Top


I've always been a big fan of basic tops with a slight twist, such as adding a patch or a ruffle. For this twist, I literally added a twist to an otherwise very basic white t-shirt, a feature I've been meaning to try and recreate for a while. Although I wasn't entirely sure where I was heading with it for most of the project, I'm realy pleased to have tried out a new technique whilst creating a very versatile garment.

The twist that I ended up with isn't quite as prominent as what I had in mind. Originally, I hoped it would be bigger and also looser. However, having to make this up as I went along meant that I had to go with what I had and to be honest I'm not displeased with the result. While I'd like to try and make another top with a bigger twist in the future the small one on this top has allowed it to be worn more often and I do quite like the subtleness of the feature.


A white t-shirt is pretty much as basic as an item of clothing can get yet I've been amazed at how much I've worn this top. It's filled apparent wardrobe gaps that I had no idea previously existed. Even though there was a high chance this top would be a complete failure I was able to experiment thanks to the fabric - white jersey bought for €2 from a market in Bordeaux! Using cheap fabric is a brilliant way to experiment with made up designs and in this case the fabric actually feels pretty good quality considering the price.



Other than the addition of the twist this top is pretty much as basic as it can get. I based the design to be the same as that of my stripy top which has been worn all the time since I've made it. Such a simple design meant that once I mastered the twist the top came together in no time at all and it's often quick projects like these which end up being the most enjoyable to make as well as the most worn garments. 

3 comments:

  1. You can never go wrong with another basic white tee. It's great that you're trying new techniques!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Adding those little details can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete