Wednesday 23 June 2021

A Week of Handmade Outfits - Summer 2021

Back in 2017 I did a round up of the handmade clothes that I brought with my on my summer holidays. Whilst I always intended to write another post like that, I somehow never got round to it. I always love seeing how people wear their handmade clothes and I know that the way I wear mine everyday isn't necessarily the same way that I photograph them for the blog post, so I thought it would be nice to do a roundup of a week of handmade outfits from time to time.

These photos give a more accurate depiction of the makes that I actually wear on a daily basis, and it's also a nice way for me to showcase the things that I made years ago. Although it's always fun to write-up new garments on my blog, to me sewing is about wearing the clothes that I make and this series should hopefully express that more clearly. I will add that it isn't always easy taking photos of my outfits! I'm sharing 5 handmade outfits that I've worn recently but they are by no means the only handmade clothes that I've worn over the last few weeks - I tend to wear something me-made most days.

True Bias Shelby Dress

The weather has been variable to say the least over the last few weeks but we have had some sunshine! It's often too cold for me to wear my summer dresses so they're the first thing I reach for during a heatwave. I made this floral Shelby Dress last summer and I still love it just as much, I'd definitely like to make another.



My other favourite heatwave make is my viscose midi skirt that I made last year. I'd never worn a midi skirt before making this one and I was unsure of how much wear I'd get out of it, but it's quickly become one of my all time favourite makes. I love the pretty fabric and its loose and flowy, making it ideal for summer heat.
I've started wearing it mainly with the white twist top that I made in 2019. I had no idea how successful this top would be when I made it but I wear it all the time - it's literally falling apart! You can see from photos of my gingham Lander pants, black joggers and checked Anima pants that it pairs well with everything. 



I've continued to frequently wear this jacket since making it, and though it may seem like a strange choice for summer it's been a great one to wear on cooler days. My newer corduroy jacket has also seen a lot of wear recently and I'll try and take some photos of that one next time.



On the subject of jackets, I thought this photo of my pink fluffy jacket paired with RTW clothes sums up the way I wear my handmade clothes quite well. Rather than aiming for a fully handmade wardrobe I enjoy wearing things I've made with clothes I've bought. As for this jacket, it's probably my least worn make out of this list but not because I don't love it - it's pretty 'out there' but always makes me smile.



This t-shirt is one of my most worn makes ever. It's another one that I made in 2019 but continue to wear now. I think its success is based on the fact that the style is very 'me', it's the kind of thing that I wear on an everyday basis because it's so easy to throw on and I really like it.

Like I mentioned at the start this is by no means a full list of all the handmade outfits I've worn recently and I'm determined to photograph my other favourites! Some of the other handmade items that I've worn a lot over the last couple of months include my Balloon Jeans, my Dawn Jeans, my Gingham Trousers, this zip-up hoodie and these tops.

4 comments:

  1. It is so neat to see how you wear your handmades! They all look beautiful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good mix of patterned and solid fabrics. I have to have a word with myself every now and then and stop making clothes with bright prints. Your two white tops look so wearable with everything. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how wearable all your makes are, but my favorite has always been your sherpa jacket. So lovely and practical.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good idea to take everyday photos of your handmade clothes. You plan you sewing well, everything goes with everything. I would love the own the sibling of your pink fluffy jacket!

    ReplyDelete