Sunday 29 November 2020

Pink Zip-neck Jumper


I'm very excited to write about this make because I love it so, so much! It's basically the jumper that I've had on my mind for at least two years now, and I've finally managed to make a version that's just right. 


If this jumper looks familiar, it's because it kind of is. Back at the start of this year I made myself this jumper out of the same pink fabric. I liked the style of the jumper but I just didn't really like the end result, the main reason being that the zip insertion looked a bit strange. I tried wearing that top a few times but I just wasn't really happy with it, so it stayed in my wardrobe. A few weeks ago, I decided that as I wasn't wearing the top at all I might as well pick it apart and try and remake it. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it any better, but I thought it was worth a try.


I'm so happy I gave it another go because this version turned out so well! Luckily I had a bit of fabric leftover which, combined with the pieces I got from unpicking the old jumper, was just enough to remake it. Because I had less fabric to work with I had to change the style a bit, so this jumper isn't as loose as the other one but I definitely prefer this look. The main thing that I knew had to change was the neck because that's what was bothering me about the first jumper. So for this one, the zip is inserted into a turtleneck style top which worked so much better than the collar of the other one. I thought this would be a better technique after the success of my zip-neck Freya top, and it is definitely lying more flat.


After the neck, I didn't really have enough fabric to make any major changes. In changing from a normal shoulder to a raglan sleeve top I ended up using a lot of fabric on the sleeves and was slightly worried there wouldn't be enough. To get around this I added in a seam halfway down the sleeve. I then chose to replicate the added seam effect by putting in another seam down the centre of the lower half of the sleeve - I cannot emphasise enough how much I love this detail! The gathered sleeves on the first top were a really nice feature so I'm glad I didn't have to lose the statement sleeves. Topstitched seams also show up so well with this fabric.


My main focus on this top was the neckline, and I'm very pleased with how smoothly the zip went it. I tend to wear this top with the zip partially undone but it looks really nice done up too for a cosier feel. This fabric so soft and cosy, like the fabric for this jumper it's a fleece-backed sweatshirt which is perfect for this time of year. 


I'm so happy with this make, I feel like it's a style I've been wanting to create for ages and now that I've finally cracked it I can make lots more. I'd definitely like to make a plain black version with a contrast zip. To finish off this jumper I added a hem band, I had just enough fabric left and I think it's the perfect finish. Once again I was able to add topstitching to tie it all together.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! Love the sleeve details.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many beautiful makes, its hard to choose a favourite. I do love the quilt, I like to make a quilt myself using the english paper piecing method.

    ReplyDelete