Saturday 19 September 2020

Tilly and the Buttons Allsorts Jersey Placket Top


I've been on a roll making jersey tops recently! It's not always easy finding good quality jersey fabric so when I do it always gets sewn up quickly. I love making t-shirts as these always get a lot of wear and are super quick to sew. The simple design of t-shirts means that they are perfect hack and I always enjoy adding slightly different details, in this case, a placket.


I've been wanting to try sewing a placket in a jersey top for ages, it's a feature that I really like when I've noticed it on RTW garments. It was surprisingly easy to do! It's definitely harder to sew a placket in a knit fabric as opposed to a woven one but using a walking foot and taking my time helped. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out considering it's the first time I've tried it, it is slightly wonky at the bottom which bothers me a bit but you can't really tell when the top is being worn.


To sew the placket I used this tutorial which has really clear instructions. Because I self-drafted the pattern I had to guess a bit at what size I wanted the placket and it's probably on the smaller end, but I think the shorter placket works well with the slightly cropped top. It also ended up being a blessing in disguise when it came to choosing the buttons - no matter how hard I looked I could only find two matching black buttons! Initially, I thought it would need three and I considered attaching three blue ones for the time being and then replacing them later, but was pleased to realise that I only needed two. I'm really glad I could use these black buttons as they are lovely, rather than being plastic they feel as though they are made out of clay. I am slightly shocked that I could only find these two that matched considering how many buttons I have!


The fabric (of course!) is the Tilly and the Buttons Allsorts Jersey in the blue colourway from Craft Cotton Co. I love the geometric design, not something that you can often find on a knit fabric. I think the buttons on the placket tie in nicely with the circles on the fabric too, although I am definitely going to be making another top with a placket which uses plain fabric for it to really stand out. I really love the other top that I made from the geometric jersey too, although the fabric design is the same having a different colour and style makes them both really different. 


I'm very pleased with this make, I'm sure I will get a lot of wear out of it. It's the perfect everyday kind of top which is made a bit more interesting thanks to the fabric and placket detail. A very speedy make too which is always a bonus! 

1 comment: