Wednesday 13 May 2020

Tilly and the Buttons Allsorts Jersey Ruched T-Shirt


I really enjoyed making this ruched top a few weeks ago and knew immediately that I wanted to make another. It looks complicated but is actually simple to do which is always a bonus with homemade clothes -  I love how professional the ruched effect is. So that the two tops weren't exactly the same I made this one with short sleeves, although the fabrics are so different that it doesn't feel like I have two of the same in the slightest.


This is my second make from the Tilly and the Buttons jersey range with Craft Cotton Co and the fabric was so perfect for this top. I used the 'Allsorts' jersey fabric which is a fun geometric shapes design. I didn't want the print to look too childish which is why I think it works so well with the style of this top. The jersey is the perfect weight for the ruching creating a nice and even bunching effect. My first TATB jersey make was this top out of the 'Love your nails' fabric and while that fabric is fun I like this one a lot more, it definitely feels easier to wear especially when sewn into a youthful design.


I decided to add short sleeves partly as I was limited by the amount of fabric I had but also so that the print wouldn't be overpowering. The shorter sleeve worked really well, for me it adds to the summery look of a top that I'll definitely be wearing on holiday - one day! Both the sleeves and the hem are finished with a row of double topstitching to add a professional feel.
The v-neck is definitely the hardest part of this top and mine is far from perfect! But the best thing about the ruching is that it hides most of the mistakes. I actually found I really like the v-neck style when wearing this top even though it's not something I've been drawn towards in the past, so I might make myself a v-neck top without ruching at some point. I'd really recommend the Megan Nielsen tutorials (here and here) for sewing a v-neck.


The longer back balances out the cropped front of this top and as an added bonus it gives a really nice uninterrupted view of the fabric! You might be able to see that there is actually a scoop in the back neckline. This wasn't something done intentionally and I wouldn't have noticed it had my mum not pointed it out, but it's a random detail that I actually quite like! 
While the sleeves are short they're not cap sleeves as I felt it was important to make them long enough once again balance out the front. I was tempted to make them elbow length, but this has ended up being a nice compromise.


I really love this top! The more complicated design gave a real sense of satisfaction to the making process. It's fun and easy to wear, I really like the style and I think it fits the fabric perfectly. It's definitely one I'll be wearing throughout the summer and hopefully on holiday too. I also made it from hardly any fabric so it's one I'll keep in mind for larger scraps.

4 comments:

  1. This is such a cute top on you! I think you are right that the fabric and style work well together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another winner! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect fabric choice for this top! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great with the fabric choice, just the thing for summer.

    ReplyDelete