Monday 4 February 2019

Burnt Orange Linden



I really excited to write about this Linden as I just love it! This was another handmade Christmas present, this time for my Mum. I love making gifts so much and I was really happy to be able to make both my parents a top this year (you can see the top I made my Dad here). When it comes to sewing clothes for others, especially presents, I find it best to use a pattern that I've used before and that I know fits them and suits them well. For my Mum this is, of course, the Grainline Studio Linden sweatshirt. I've made an awful lot for both myself and my Mum. This is actually the fourth one I've made my Mum and if you look at the first, second and third you will see that I've used the same alterations every time. It's an adaptation of view B, slightly cropped but not too much so and with 3/4 length sleeves. It sounds incredibly boring to make the same version each time but I love making them and she loves wearing them so altogether I'd say that it's the perfect combination!


The main concern I had when it came to this top was the fabric. This was the first time that I made a garment for my Mum without her choosing the fabric so I was quite nervous that the colour wouldn't be right. When we visited Backstitch we both admired their burnt orange ponte roma fabric, and remembering this I ordered it online. In the end the fabric was perfect. The colour is gorgeous: bright but not too bright and the weight is spot on for the Linden. Although the pattern can be made with a variety of differently weighted jerseys I much prefer it in a heavier fabric. The colour isn't showing up quite right on screen as in real life it isn't quite as bright.

One of the details that I've added to the majority of my Mum's Lindens is the addition of a wide double-hem. It was her idea initially but I love it. For such a simple thing to do it adds a really nice touch to the garment. It's so lovely to have a well received present when so much time has gone into it, I loved making it and I hope that my Mum loves wearing it!

5 comments:

  1. I am currently in a hardcore "orange" phase and I LOVE this sweatshirt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this burnt orange colour - its such a sumptuous colour. I like the modifications you did to the sleeve length of the Linden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great sweatshirt and perfectly lovely bright shade of orange - to cheer up the cold winter days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving the orange too! Another great Linden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow this is incredible! It looks so chic and trendy in that colour :) lucky mum!

    ReplyDelete