Tuesday 21 December 2021

Vicky Knits V-Neck Vest


The last time I shared a knitting project, which was also the last time I knit anything, was in 2017! Almost five years later I've managed to knit a simple item of clothing rather than a pair of gloves, meaning that if this trend continues I should manage a complex jumper in another five years... 
Knitting has been something that I keep meaning to pick up again but somehow never quite get round to doing. I think my problem has been choosing patterns that are much too complicated, in lockdown I managed to knit most of the front panel of a cable jumper before facing defeat when it came to the neckline instructions. There seem to be a lot of clear, simple sewing patterns available but fewer easy knitting patterns that I actually want to make.


I've liked the look of vests for a while but didn't want to buy one as it seemed like something I should be able to learn to knit, and when I discovered the Vicky Knits vest knitting pattern it seemed like a good opportunity to give knitting another go. It was so much more simple to make than what I've been trying to do before! I've realised that not only are unclear instructions a nightmare for beginners, but using chunky wool makes a huge difference.


This pattern is made using two colours of chunky yarn and 10 and 12mm knitting needles. It meant that this vest came together very quickly - it only took me a few weeks, and I think that if I'd discovered this pattern in lockdown I probably would have made ten by now! I chose dark and light grey coloured yarns which I think go well together and are colours that I wear, although I would quite like to make a pale pink or blue version too.


The trickiest part of this pattern was picking up the stitches around the neckline and armholes and creating the v-neck, and whilst I'm not entirely sure how I did it I'm very pleased with the result! One of my favourite features is the split just where the colours change, a nice detail. I'm wearing this vest with my black Freya turtleneck and I think they pair well together.


I'm thrilled that I managed to make this vest and will definitely be making more. Next time I'll add a few rows to the bodice as it's a little short. I was worried while making the vest that it might turn out too short but didn't want to alter the pattern the first time I made it. I'm also on the search for more beginner knitting patterns using chunky wool, I'd quite like to make a cardigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment