Tuesday 10 March 2020

Pink Zip-Neck Jumper


I really enjoyed the process of making this jumper. It required quite a bit of thinking which is what I like when it comes to dressmaking. I find projects where I've had to think about drafting and construction much more satisfying than those where I've just followed a pattern and instructions. Having said that, I do like having a mix of both kinds of projects as bought patterns offer more mindless sewing.


I've seen so many variations of zip-neck jumpers recently. They seem to be everywhere and I really like them. I'm hoping to make a top with an exposed zip in the front soon but this jumper seemed like an easier place to start. It has a seam at the bottom of the zip which is so much easier to sew than to try and get a neat finish at the bottom of an exposed zip. Having looked at jumpers like this one online I saw that the zips tended to have extended covered ends reaching down to the seam. The zip that I bought ended up being shorter than I would have liked so I had to extend the fabric covering the end a bit more than most of those that I saw but I don't think that matters too much.


I really like the sleeve of this jumper, it matches the boxy feel nicely. It's a two piece sleeve which makes a nice feature of the seams. I gathered it at the end before adding the cuff, something that I'd like to try on another top with a slightly drapier fabric for a larger effect.


The fabric I used was a scuba type knit with a lovely soft inside. I decided to leave the hem raw, partly becuase I couldn't decide whether or not it should have a hem band.
I really like the style of this jumper but I'm not over the moon about it. The scuba was really hard to topstitch neatly on which is something that I'm quite picky about. The main issue is that at the bottom of the zip the fabric doesn't quite lie flat; it's a small thing but again something that really bothers me. This jumper isn't perfect but I'm pleased to have made it, especially as I wanted to test out this design. It's given me a few ideas about what to do next time I attempt a zip-up neck jumper.

4 comments:

  1. I like the gathered sleeves, not something often seen in a jumper. I am sorry you are not over the moon about your latest make and I hope you make peace with the small imperfections so that you get a lot of wear out of this jumper. Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the result, and the color is so pretty on you! I am glad this project challenged you in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out well, you did a good job. It is good to try new things and you really should be less hard on yourself the zip looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really cute on you. I think it looks great and I like the details. Sometimes I don't feel the joy with something I have sewn, but if it fits, keep it until the mood changes because one day you might just love it!

    ReplyDelete