Tuesday 22 October 2019

Re-fashioned Raindrop Top



As you might have noticed I really enjoy refashioning items of clothing. These are often clothes which I or other people in my family used to wear but no longer fit, or occasionally items I've found in a charity shop. However, as I've made more garments over the years I've started to get a better idea of what actually gets worn and which handmade clothes just aren't getting any wear. I find refashioning handmade clothes a tricky concept to balance I'm only just starting to come across having to get rid of handmade items as I haven't been sewing for all that long. Ultimately, I think it's best to refashion or give away something that isn't being worn, but I'm definitely keen to keep clothes that I made at the start of my sewing journey which are more special even if they aren't being worn any more.


Having a blog to document makes definitely helps when getting rid of them as it's really nice to have a record of something if I don't have it anymore. When it came to refashioning this top it was a fairly easy decision: I'm not as attached to it as some of my other makes and the fabric seemed too nice to waste. The original top that I made with this fabric was one that I liked a lot at the time but it was one of my very first ventures into pattern hacking and the final design could have been better. I'm happy to have made and enjoyed the original but as I was no longer wearing it I decided to hack it into a very simple t-shirt. I wanted to make something very basic so that the print didn't look too childish and a short sleeved t-shirt is always an appreciated addition to my wardrobe and so easy to sew.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out. It's such an easy make but what I love most about this top is how it shows how much my sewing has improved. The original had slightly wonky topstitching, was sewn without an overlocker and of course the shape didn't sit quite right. This one fits really well, is finished neatly on an overlocker and is a much easier style to wear.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, great job in refashioning! It's such a great feeling to refashion an item of clothing even if it is something we previously made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have the skills to refashion earlier makes. I've made clothing for myself years ago and anything that didn't quite work out I never seemed to wear. I didn't even think about refashioning them at the time. Great job. xx Susan

    ReplyDelete