Tuesday 6 August 2019

An update on The Soothing Quilt EPP


A couple of months ago I introduced my latest English paper piecing project which I've named The Soothing Quilt. I wanted to give a quick update on it's progress mainly so that I have a backlog of photos and thoughts taken along the way which I think will be nice to look back through once the quilt is finished. Since June I've made quite a bit of progress on the quilt and the main thing I can't believe is how much the colour scheme is already changing! As I mentioned, the intention is for there to be a diagonal colour gradient, beginning and ending with purples while progressing through blues, greens, yellows, reds and pinks. 


I really love how the fabric collection draws the colours together with the three consistent designs. I feel genuinely excited when a new colour is introduced to the quilt! My aim is for the colour change to be gradual meaning that there are spots of green in the blue area and vice-versa. It's one of those patterns where my eyes are continually drawn to a new block with a fabric combination that I hadn't realised I'd added and choosing a favourite block is particulary difficult!


Unlike dressmaking where much of the project involves planning, drafting and cutting, the majority of EPP is spent actually sewing. While the glueing of paper to fabric can get a bit tedious, cutting out the fabrics for the next row is something that I really enjoy doing. I'm expanding it as a square to make sure that it can still be turned into a quilt even if I run out of fabric so cutting fabric is a batch process that increases as the quilt gets bigger and more blocks are needed. Having just cut out the fabric for the next row (where red will be introduced for the first time!) I have quite a bit of glueing ahead of me but I'm looking forward to sewing together some new blocks and seeing what the quilt looks like as it continues to change.

4 comments:

  1. Your colour decisions are very thoughtful, love this quilt already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! It will be stunning!! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks amazing! I am sure you are enjoying each step of the process and it's great you are keeping us up to date with progress.

    ReplyDelete