Wednesday 6 June 2018

Black and White


I've been sewing quite a few basic t-shirts at the moment and this is the first of several that I have to write about. Sewing basics can seem like quite a dull task, however I really enjoy sewing things such as t-shirts that I know will get a lot of wear. They're so quick to sew too!  I've also experimented with adding extra details onto what would otherwise be standard garments, and I love that a simple addition can really make a garment unique.
This is another make from the fabric that I bought when I visited Higgs and Higgs, and like all of their jerseys this black one was wonderful to sew with. It's actually a ribbing, something that doesn't show up in the photos but is apparent when you see the top in person. I love the extra texture the ribbing gives, and it makes the top super stretchy and therefore really comfortable (always a bonus!). The ribbing also allowed the neckband to go in really smoothly and easily.


The fairly obvious part of this top that makes it into something, is the contrast white 'pleated trim picot edging' that I bought as a slightly spur of the moment addition. I was initially worried it would look too crazy but to be honest I could probably have been able to get away with adding more (not that I want to add more). I absolutely LOVE it! I think it's such a great addition, and as I said turns the top into something more than just a basic black t-shirt. My Mum is entrirely to thank for this, she was the one who noticed it in the shop and pursuaded me to buy it so thank you, Mum! 
To attatch the trim I simply topstitched it onto the sleeve at the bottom. I left the hem of the sleeve raw as the fabric doesn't fray and decided to sew it on top of the sleeve as an applique rather than underneath the black. Again, I'm glad I did this as it creates a nice texture and I don't think that it needed to be hidden underneath the black.


The pattern is self drafted and has immediately become a go-to pattern for me for a basic top. The only thing to remember is that this fabric is very stretchy and so needed to be sewn with a larger seam allowance on my overlocker than another t-shirt made out of a less stretchy jersey. I wasn't sure how long I wanted the top but I knew that I wanted it cropped to wear with high-waisted trouseres and skirts, and when I tried it on I found that it was the perfect length so I'm pleased about that too.
Overall, I don't think that such a basic garment has ever made me so happy! This is definitely one of those makes that makes me smile when I put it on, and it's all thanks to taking a risk with a slightly strange white trim.

9 comments:

  1. This look like such a sleek and classic top. It's a perfect fit too!
    I have realised after Me-Made-May that I need to sew some more plain coloured basics exactly like this so thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The trim addition is such a great idea! It adds an extra spark to the top, which you look great in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous tee with the sleeve trip. It is very worthy of copying for a future tee for me. Hope you won't mind...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good idea, well spotted mum! You made a really good job of that well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The trim elevated that top. You put it to good use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The trim was such a great addition. Your t-shirt looks very classy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sleeves are fantastic! The colour combination is lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the edging on this t shirt - clever you! I do love a bit of black and white; it's always a stylish look.

    ReplyDelete