Thursday 9 November 2017

Needlecord Rosa Shirt


I know I've said it many times before, but I absolutely love the Tilly and the Buttons Rosa Shirt pattern. I've already made a shirtdress and a shirt, but I really wanted to make one that would be perfect for autumn. I picked up this gorgeous jade-green needlecord from Stoff and Stil, and knew that it would be perfect with brass buttons! I had actually originally intended to make a shirtdress out of this fabric, but I actually only just had enough to make the shirt. I have a habit of always buying the minimum amount of fabric possible, which although sometimes works out as better and cheaper, it often means that I am limited with what I can make out of it. Lesson learnt - buy more fabric than you think you will need!


Adding a contrast facing is something that I love about this pattern. I used a really pretty green Liberty fabric that I already had for the inner collar stand and button stand facings. To be honest, I wasn't that happy with the shirt once I'd sewn it all together. Something just didn't feel right about it, and I was quite disappointed. I was tempted to leave it a while before sewing the button holes, but I think we all know that when a project is stalled with the intention of being picked up in a weeks time, it won't be touched for a long time! So I was determined to finish the shirt. I bought these lovely brass jeans buttons which are just perfect and I am so much happier with it. The shirt really needed the buttons, with them the picture that I had in my mind is complete.


I think that the style lines are what really make Tilly and the Buttons patterns something special. I just love the back yoke detail! Once again, I did two rows of topstitching, using a almost matching thread to make it stand just enough, but not enough to count as contrast topstitching. Overall, this shirt is definitely growing on me. I enjoy wearing it, love the buttons and the fabric is perfect for this time of year. Although it's my third Rosa shirt in a year, I definitely won't be making any promises that it's my last... One for each season seems reasonable, right?!

7 comments:

  1. This shirt is beautiful!! I know I've said it before, but your skills are just so impressive. A lot of people struggle with collars and you did a fantastic job. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One for each season is perfectly acceptable! It makes sense to get good use from a pattern once you've bought it and in different fabrics it can look completely different. This is lovely, the buttons really do finish it off perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! Well done on such a professional finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your shirt. It is perfect for fall. I am glad you stuck with it and finished it. Now you have a fabulous shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute shirt! - These buttons match it. I love your fabric choice, and Capel is one of my favorite Liberty pattern♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your new Rosa shirt is beautiful! I really like the addition of the Liberty facings and also the nice tailoring of the back panels.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your Rosa shirt is just awesome! I love the added details of the collar. I can't believe you have sewn this multiple times. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete