Monday 27 December 2021

2021 Sew Down


It's the end of the year, which means a run down of my 2021 makes! This is something I've been doing since I started my blog and I always enjoy reflecting on the past year of sewing. This year I've made three pairs of jeans, three dresses, a jacket and many other items of clothing.


Proudest make: I found it really difficult to choose just one make for this category. This year I've thrown myself into longer, more involved sewing projects which I can really get stuck into with simple makes like t-shirts in between. This jumpsuit is one of those more complex makes and I'm very proud of it, especially becasue I drafted the bodice myself and hacked a trouser pattern for the lower half.


Proudest make: The other sewing project that I'm particularly proud of this year is this sherpa-lined jacket. I made it during lockdown at the start of 2021 and set myself the challenge of using only scraps. This means that the hood and facing are made from tiny scraps pieced together, and I used an old pair of jeans on the back bodice and sleeves where there wasn't quite enough fabric. I wrote a step-by-step process of how I made this jacket here.


Most worn make: As I become better at fitting and sewing for my style I get more and more wear out of the things I've made. I wore this black sleeveless turtleneck top contstantly during the summer, I really love it. Other makes that I've worn a lot include both these jeans and these ones, my white turtleneck top and this white t-shirt


Least worn make: I've generally worn the things I've made this year a lot, but I'm disappointed that this jacket didn't quite work out. I spent a long time getting the smaller details right but the fit of the arms is off  (it's sometimes a risk to self-draft patterns) and I should have used a rib fabric for the cuffs and hem band. 


Most unexpected make: Not quite as unexpected as making scrubs which I put in this category last year, but I still didn't think at the start of 2021 that I'd manage to knit a proper garment! This knitted vest is the first item of clothing that I've managed to knit and I'm very pleased with it.


Last year's favourite: No surprise here, my gingham Lander Pants were one of last year's makes that I wore the most this year - including on holiday. These were one of my favourite 2020 makes and remain one of my favourite things that I've ever made. I also continued to get a lot of wear out of my black lander pants, this jumper and these joggers which were all made in previous years.


Most used pattern: I tend to only buy patterns for items of clothing that I couldn't draft myself and jeans are one of those. I made three pairs of jeans this year, starting with this wide-legged pair where I perfected the fit of the Megan Nielsen Dawn Jeans and have since altered the pattern accordingly. I also used the Dawn Jeans as a base to make these balloon jeans, which I've worn a lot this year too.


Favourite fabric: I don't think I visited any fabric shops outside of my local area this year, which is a shame as it's something I always enjoy doing. However, I have had a lot of success with ordering fabric online. This viscose from Felicity Fabrics that I made my Nola Dress out of is my favourite fabric that I worked with this year, it's so pretty and I love the dress.

I'll be sharing my five favourite makes from this year later on in the week. In the meantime, here are my end of year sew-downs from 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment