Friday 31 December 2021

Top 5 Favourite Makes of 2021

Making a list of my favourite handmade clothes is always a nice way to consolidate my year of sewing and look back at all the things I've made, rather than always planning the next project which is often the case with sewing. I've made a lot of things that I love this year and have worn a lot, here are my favourites: 


This year I had a really urge to make a pretty summer dress. It's too cold most of the year for me to wear something like this but lovely when the occasional heatwave does come along. I love how pretty this pattern is when made in this fabric, and this dress brings back happy memories as I wore it on holiday in the summer.


This was also one of my proudest makes of the year. I'd been thinking for a while that the Named Clothing Rae Pants would work really well as a jumpsuit, and when I had the need for some more formal clothes this idea came to mind. I love how it turned out, and it works especially well in the viscose fabric that I used. This jumpsuit is obviously an occasion rather than everyday item of clothing and it was really fun to make something a bit more extravagant.


Hacking a jeans pattern was a risk that I took, but one that paid off better than I imagined. Balloon jeans are a trend that I liked the look of and challenged myself to make a pair by hacking the Megan Nielsen Dawn Jeans pattern. It took a lot of trial and error in terms of pinning the darts in the legs and I wasn't sure that they would work out. They did work out, and these jeans have ended up being one of my most worn makes this year! 


Another one that I'm really proud of, this was definitely a lockdown make. I made this jacket entirely out of fabric leftovers, using the corduroy fabric from these jeans and the leftover sherpa from this jacket. It includes parts that are made from pieced together fabric scraps and even an old pair of jeans when I ran out of corduroy! The best part is that I love this jacket, and it turns out that my sister does too and has borrowed it regularly...


Another pair of jeans, and another make that I've worn constantly this year. When I made these jeans at the start of the year the wide legs felt slightly out of my comfort zone and I wasn't sure how much I'd wear them. Come the summer, wide-legged jeans were everywhere and I wore these constantly. These jeans also permitted me to master the fit of the Dawn Jeans, meaning that it's a pattern that I can now use again and again.

As ever, sewing has provided a wonderful escape this year and I've made some things that I'm very pleased with. I've also continued to enjoy writing this blog, and it still feels amazing that people actually read it!
I've now had this blog for 5 years and my sewing has evolved so much in that time. You can see my favourite makes from 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
Next year I plan on making more jeans, as those are the handmade clothes I wear the most, and probably some more t-shirts too. As I manoeuvre spending time away from my sewing machine whilst at Uni, my English Paper Piecing provides the perfect portable sewing project.

No comments:

Post a Comment