Thursday 23 July 2020

An Update on my English Paper Piecing Quilt



I don't think I've ever been this excited to write a blog post about pieces of fabric glued to paper before!! I am so in love with this English paper piecing project, it just keeps getting better and better. Now that more and more colours are present it's even more gorgeous to look at, I think half the time I spend English paper piecing is actually spent admiring the fabrics!
For a bit of background on this quilt you can read the introductory post I wrote in June 2019. After planning a large EPP project for a while, I finally decided on the design and fabrics for this quilt in around January 2019. My mum named it 'The Soothing Quilt' as the project is intended to provide a way to soothe or relax, which is exactly what EPP is for me. 
This quilt is all about the sewing process rather than the actual finished result, so if this seems like a never-ending project which will take forever to complete - that's the point! Having said that, part of me can't wait to finish it to see what it looks like when it's completed.


Since introducing the quilt on my blog I've written two posts about its progress: one in August 2019 and one in February 2020. I can't believe how much it keeps changing and I love having the photos to look back at and see what it looked like before certain colours were added on. I had been sharing an update every time two additional rows of blocks were added, but because it's a square the number of blocks to add on with each row increases and so the time taken to sew them on increases too! Also, I love how it looks after my latest row so much that I wanted to take photos before it changed again. 
I have definitely been working on this quilt more often during lockdown, it really has been the perfect project to fill some very long days! I've also become really eager to add on more colours, even though I know it will pay off in the end with the gradient part of me still wanted to add in more colours at an earlier stage!


The best part of this quilt has definitely been adding the pinks to it. I love how the different colours begin to creep in a little at a time! When I first started adding the yellows I couldn't wait to change the blues and purples which I'd become bored of. But now, I've now become bored of sewing with yellow and want to go back to purple and blue again! I have wanted to add the pink in for so long and I can't wait for the next row which has even more pinks and darker purples in it. Cutting the fabric is kind of strange because I've almost run out of fabric for some of the colours but with others, I haven't even cut into the fabric yet! I think after the next row every fabric will have been used so I'm looking forward to seeing that.


It was so much fun taking these photos because I usually have the quilt folded up and don't see it in all of its glory. This photo is definitely my favourite - you can see the colour gradient for the first time! The quilt is so big now (I just ran upstairs to measure it and it's 1.25m x 1.25m) it's a bit of a struggle to sew the blocks onto it! 

6 comments:

  1. its absolutely gorgeous, beautiful work

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece of work! It reminds me of Amish quilting and of very contemporary designs, as well. Its a knock-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! The pink makes it very exciting--can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow sewing, so nice. This is so beautiful and should last your lifetime

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colours on this quilt, you are doing such an amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your quilt is absolutely stunning! I love the flow of vibrant happy colours. I am already excited to see the finished quilt some day in the future.

    ReplyDelete