Wednesday 13 January 2021

Tilly and the Buttons: Stretch - Freya Turtleneck

I've finally got round to making myself a black turtleneck top, the kind of simple top that I wear a lot. This top has been at the back of my mind for what feels like ages, but seemed to always get overtaken by more spur of the moment projects. After making a pair of cream Lander Pants I needed a top to pair with them, and my black turtleneck plans found themselves at the top of my sewing queue once again


I used, as usual, the Tilly and the Buttons Freya top to make this. It's definitely my most used pattern although I've only used it to make a turtleneck a few times before. The bodice is a really good base pattern to hack but sometimes it's nice to make the pattern as intended! I've previously made a grey stripy Freya top, a blue and white stripy one, a mustard one and more recently a red one with a zip-neck hack. I really like the depth of the turtleneck, though it could easily be made shorter or longer depending on preference. 


Whilst my Lander Pants are what initially convinced me to make a black turtleneck, it's the kind of wardrobe basic that can be worn with so many different trousers. I also have a habit of making short sleeved t-shirts rather than warmer tops that I'm more likely to wear so hopefully this will fill a wardrobe gap too. 
I really wanted to use a cotton jersey to make this top for a couple of reasons, the first being that they tend to be better quality jerseys which don't feel synthetic and are also fully opaque - obviously ideal when using a plain fabric. Cotton jersey is also slightly heavier weight than a lot of other stretch fabrics which work for t-shirts, perfect for making sure a turtleneck holds its shape. I used this plain black jersey fabric from Fabrics For All. I'm so tempted to make some more plain turtlenecks now, I try to push myself to use prints from time to time but the truth is I just prefer wearing plain fabrics! Maybe a bit boring, but when paired with more interesting trousers I think plain tops are perfect.


I spent a while trying to decide what length to make this top. My initial plan was to make it long and wear it tucked in, but after trying on my Landers with a tucked in t-shirt I just didn't like how it looked. I went for the middle-path in the end, making it long enough to cover the top of the waistband of trousers without it being so long that it looks like it needs tucking in. I've just realised that it's actually the same length as my red Freya top, not a conscious decision but clearly it's a length that I like!

[This fabric was given to me by Fabrics for All but all thoughts are my own]

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful outfit! I like a black turtleneck anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, it's a great pattern that isn't it. I have made it as a top and dress (dresses!) and I am not finished with it yet. It looks really good with the trousers too.

    ReplyDelete