Sunday 7 June 2020

Floral Jersey Wrap Top


I love having the opportunity to try out different fabrics and make things in a style that I wouldn't always choose. This top represents both of those things and is also a reminder of how much fun it can be to make something completely different as I really like the outcome! 


I've recently been liking fabrics with small floral prints more and more, I like to think that I'm old enough now to wear them without looking too childish! What I like about this fabric is that the background is navy, meaning that it still remains relatively in my comfort zone. It's lovely to find a jersey fabric with a print like this one too, I find that most of them are either striped or plain. The fabric in question comes from Visage Textiles so it's a great quality cotton jersey which is completely opaque. After making one item out of floral fabric I'm tempted to go all in and make lots more! I really love the tiny flowers of this Craft Cotton fabric and I'm still on the hunt for a perfect floral viscose.


Onto the design! I'm so proud of the drafting of this top because I've never made a proper wrap top before. Until recently I would never have seen myself wearing a wrap top but I've liked some of the RTW ones I've seen on the high street and my friend Alice (who I made this top for!) has one which looks great on her and I wanted to copy her! She very kindly sent me lots of photos of her top so that I was able to draft my own pattern. I'm so happy it worked, I wasn't really expecting it to! It's quite a tricky shape to get without any gaping but luckily jersey fabric is also very forgiving. 


I really like how the ties come together at the side and I also quite like the little ruffle effect you get at the back from where the tie comes round. I have no idea if mine wraps round the right way but I'm happy with it!

Head over to the Craft Cotton Co blog to read more about this top

4 comments:

  1. Florals with a dark background are great aren't they, I have some with navy background too which I am enjoying.
    Your top is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this top on you! The floral print doesn't look childish at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am truly in awe of your drafting skills. Great top!

    ReplyDelete