Friday 3 January 2020

Black Sparkly Top


As much as I am someone who plans sewing projects, I do enjoy making things on the spur of the moment. These makes have much less pressure attatched as it doesn't matter whether or not they work out. On top of that, it's a really good way to use fabric leftovers which makes the project free and without expectations.


I whipped up this top in an afternoon when I wanted to do some sewing but didn't have a project on the go. I've been wanting to make a few more tops as opposed to jumpers or t-shirts and this also fit the brief of not requiring too much fabric and therefore perfect for scraps. I decided on the design of a simple faux-wrap top which I drafted. It was actually quite simple to draft, two trapezium shapes that overlap each other joining together at the opposite side seam. 


The fabric and pattern kind of came together at the same moment. I wanted to make a sparkly top and had some of the black lurex fabric left over from this top. I've never actually worn that other top (I just don't like the design) but I wanted to give the fabric another go. Thanks to having used it before I knew that it was sheer so each piece of lurex is lined with a plain black jersey fabric. It's worked perfectly, the fabrics are sewn together at the top and side seams but not at the bottom. This creates a loose floating affect of the layers when the top is being worn which I really love.

Considering the fact that this top required no planning I am so pleased with how well it turned out. The fabric works so well with the black underneath and I think the wrap shape adds to the floatiness. I'll definitely be making this design again, it's perfect for a simple top and requires very little fabric.

3 comments:

  1. This is so cute and sparkly! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perfect top - and great to have a made in one day make - happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute top! Great design and plan. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete