Wednesday 11 October 2017

Bell-Sleeve Gingham Top


I have my latest and one of my favourite makes to share with you today: a gingham top! I have seen so many clothes made out of gingham recently, and when Talia from Craft Cotton Company very kindly asked me if I wanted to sew with some of their gorgeous fabric I jumped at the occasion to make something out of gingham for myself. The pattern is self - drafted, and it is the same as this top, although without the zip. The only change that I made other than that was to add the main feature of this top - the bell sleeves!


I didn't realise how much a ruffle can add to an outfit - and how much I love it - until I made this top. It turns out that ruffles are amazing! I've been wanting to add bell sleeves to a top for ages, and this seemed like the perfect opportunity. To do so, I used this tutorial, which is very clear. I did use a slightly different gathering technique though, I simply sewed two lines of basting 1/4" apart and then pulled the threads to gather it. I'm so pleased with this effect, I now really want to add them to all the garments I make.


Another detail that I really like is the closure. Gingham is quite busy, so I didn't think that a zip would be a good idea. I really like the effect of having a hole in the back (sorry, I'm not sure what the proper name is?)  and I closed it with a rouleau loop and a lovely black covered button, which I'm very happy with. This was also my first time sewing with gingham, and I am very proud of my pattern matching along the centre back seam! It was definitely not easy... 


9 comments:

  1. Love this top! It reminds me of a designer from my hometown in South Carolina called Laroque. She makes a lot of similar gingham tops with ruffles, though i doubt her stripe matching is as perfect as yours since it's RTW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. brilliant top and the button closure works really well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Gingham is so much fun to work with and your top looks fantastic on you. I'm so impressed with your skills already and look at you, drafting your own pattern for your top. You continue to impress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very cute top, love the ruffles too. I thought at first the back was made in one piece, so that was awesome matching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a big fan of gingham, but I still haven't sewed with it. Your top looks amazing and suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bell sleeves really enhance this top. On trend and very pretty! It is called a key-hole in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your top is adorable and you did an excellent job matching at the center back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bell-sleeves really enhance this pretty top. Love the gingham!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome pattern matching! What a lovely top.

    ReplyDelete