Monday 28 October 2019

Palm Tree Shirt


I made this shirt such a long time ago that it feels somewhat strange to be writing about it now, especially considering how cold the weather currently is. One of the reasons it's taken me so long to actually photograph this shirt is to do with how long it was almost finished for. I rarely have half finished sewing projects but for some reason this shirt took me a very long time to add the finishing touches to. I spent a long time anguishing over the right buttons and because of this it was left on my mannequin for quite a while, completely finished other than buttons. The shade and size of navy that I wanted proved surprisingly difficult to find and so the shirt stayed buttonless for several months.


As summer approached it seemed like too much of a shame to leave the shirt unfinished and therefore unworn so I decided to add white buttons just so that it could be worn on holiday, with the intention replacing them if I found the right blue ones. Now the white ones are on I'm perfectly happy with how they look and I wish I'd just sewn them on sooner so that I could have started wearing the shirt earlier! I'm not sure why I was so against them in the first place...


I bought this fabric at the Knitting and Stitching Show at the same stand as this one and knew it would become a boxy shirt. I'd been vaguely looking for a fabric with drape to make a shirt for a while and I love the palm tree pattern on this one. I'm not entirely sure what type of fabric it is but it worked perfectly for this project although it did fray a lot


I made a pretty classic cropped boxy shirt which is something I've been wanting to try and make for a while. I'm really pleased with how the pattern turned out, especially having to draft the collar. It doesn't have any darts as I wanted it to hang loosely, which it does. My favourite detail is definitely the back yoke. I used the burrito method (which I've used twice before, here and here) and I love the beautiful finish it gives inside the shirt.

4 comments:

  1. What a pretty shirt, the white buttons look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute - I love everything about it. The proportions and the print are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your shirt! The buttons go well with the palm tree fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lovely shirt, it looks really good.

    ReplyDelete